Legal and Governance
Legal and Governance consists of two divisions: Group Legal and Corporate Governance Division.
Group Legal brings together lawyers from across Macquarie with a range of different disciplines and expertise, and reinforces the independent function of the legal role.
It provides the full range of legal services to Macquarie, from strategic legal advice on corporate transactions to legal risk assessment on a variety of issues. Its objectives are to:
- ensure all transactions are able to be enforced by Macquarie as expected
- enable individual Macquarie businesses to understand the legal and regulatory framework and operate accordingly
- assess dispute resolution proceedings and threatened actions and, as far as reasonably practical, minimise or mitigate associated risks
- advise on new products and business structures and combinations
- protect and appropriately enforce Macquarie's legal, commercial and reputational interests and rights.
Group Legal is led by an experienced team of practising lawyers. The Head of Group Legal, the General Counsel, is a member of Macquarie’s Operations Review Committee and reports directly to the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer. The General Counsel has access to the Board and Board Committees. Each significant Macquarie business unit has a General Counsel who reports directly to the Group Legal General Counsel and to the relevant business unit head.
The Corporate Governance Division has responsibility for providing services to the Macquarie Group Board, the Board Committees and the Executive Committee, and administering Macquarie Group’s subsidiaries, ASX listing rule compliance, employee equity schemes, general and professional risk insurances and Group-wide corporate governance matters.