Macquarie Asset Management
Macquarie Asset Management is a full-service asset manager that specialises in infrastructure and real asset management, securities investments management, and tailored investment solutions for funds and listed equities.
A number of Macquarie Asset Management divisions offer graduate programs.
Macquarie Investment Management (MIM)
MIM offers securities investment management expertise across a range of asset classes including fixed interest, listed equities (domestic and international) and infrastructure securities. It delivers a full-service offering to both institutional and retail clients in Australia and the US, with selective offerings in other regions.
Graduates in Macquarie Investment Management have the opportunity to join one of two teams.
MIM Distribution: Graduates in MIM Distribution are involved with a combination of sales and marketing and have exposure to the full range of investment capabilities. The team is involved in developing and maintaining relationships with wholesale and institutional clients, to deliver investment solutions that meet their needs. Graduates obtain a comprehensive view of the Australian investment management landscape.
Graduates within MIM Distribution learn to:
- conduct data analysis and product analysis to improve processes
- undertake research new/existing products, competitor research and market research
- assist with digital branding and the creation/improvement of marketing materials.
MIM Macquarie Equities: Graduates in MIM Macquarie Equities work with one of the largest Australian equity managers across a range of global developed, global emerging and Australian equity strategies. The diversified product range incorporates two different investment styles: Core Equities (a predominately quantitative investment style) and High Conviction (a concentrated fundamentally driven investment style). Team members’ are provided with exposure to both investment styles.
Graduates within MIM Macquarie Equities learn to:
- research and test for new or improved sources of value in the global equity market using MATLAB, SQL, Excel/VB, Unix
- monitor the performance of systematic models and maintain and enhance existing quantitative systems and processes
- assist in the development of new investment strategies or products
- prepare responses to client and consultant requests.
Macquarie Specialised Investment Solutions (MSIS)
Graduates in Macquarie Specialised Investment Solutions have the opportunity to join one of three teams.
Fund Linked Products (FLP): Graduates will work with the team to provide financing to hedge funds and private equity funds as well as issuing structured products over hedge funds and private equity funds to institutional and high net worth investors.
Graduates within Fund Linked Products learn to:
- conduct critical qualitative and quantitative analysis of fund investments and risk exposures to produce financial models and written reports
- review and maintain risk exposure systems and convey key findings to internal and external stakeholders
- evaluates the commercial viability of transactions and present key insights to senior management.
Institutional Products (IP) originates and incubates new financial and funds management products and transactions for a diverse client base, ranging from small to medium enterprises to large institutions across various industries. The team specifically focuses on tailored, innovative and entrepreneurial solutions for Macquarie and its clients.
Graduates within the Institutional Products team learn to:
- conduct financial and corporate analysis of new transactions including cash-flow modelling, asset valuations, and industry research
- prepare documents and presentations for both internal and external stakeholders
- engage with clients, external advisors and intermediaries and internal stakeholders.
Origination Sydney (OASIS): Graduates work with the team on developing and managing structured investment products for Australian retail and wholesale clients. The team works with other teams around the bank including Sales, Trading, Marketing, Legal, Compliance, Risk and IT, to design products and manage existing products. They also design product outcomes with a high degree of expertise in markets, tax and derivatives.
Graduates within the Origination Sydney team learn to:
- assist with the management of existing products and development of new products, including modelling cash flows and working with the legal team in preparing and reviewing legal documentation
- review asset pricing and assist with trades with internal and external trading desks
- prepare marketing and investor relations materials.
We offer an informal work environment which is designed to encourage you to learn directly from peers and mentors.
Summer internship program
As a summer intern you’ll contribute to the team’s day-to-day output undertaking research and analysis and developing a broader understanding of funds management.
As a summer intern in Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets, you may be asked to analyse fund assets, assist with research projects and prepare investor relations material.
Interns in Macquarie Investment Management may be asked to undertake risk analytics, compliance monitoring and project management.
Macquarie Specialised Investment Solutions interns may be asked to research investment products, produce cash flow calculators and assist in document preparation.
Is a role in Macquarie Asset Management right for you?
We are looking for high-calibre students from a range of disciplines, including but not limited to actuarial studies, business, commerce, economics, engineering, finance, law, mathematics, statistics and science.
1 Towers Watson Global Alternatives Survey (July 2017).
2 Eager, Davis & Holmes, Global Non-Affiliated GA Assets (December 2016).
3 IPE Top 400 asset managers (June 2017).