Back

The big bout for NSW Police Legacy

Sydney, 20 Nov 2015

Macquarie Sydney employee Marcus Droga never thought he’d don a pair of gloves and climb into a boxing ring to fight a superintendent from the NSW Police Force. But that’s where he found himself raising money for NSW Police Legacy and the PCYC (Police Citizens Youth Clubs) earlier this year.

The annual NSW Police Legacy Boxing Championship in Sydney involved 28 competitors and 14 bouts. Many people applied to be part of the competition but only the fittest and toughest made the cut - Droga was the only non-police officer who was granted permission to compete in this year’s event due to his long standing service with the PCYC. 

For more than 20 years Droga has supported the police service and its community activities through his committee membership and participation in the PCYC at Woolloomooloo. 

In the lead up to the boxing match, Droga raised $46,000 including Macquarie Group Foundation matching, as part of the more than $146,000 raised in total.

Along with fundraising, Droga trained intensively for 16 weeks, with a mixture of personal training sessions and practice fights in underground boxing rings at the police headquarters in Sydney. 

Fight pairings in the competition were matched on age, weight and experience but practice sessions were with various police officers who were also training for the same event. 

Droga’s fight was chosen as the ‘undercard’ to the boxing bout between Danny Green and Mark Bouris, in front of 600 guests. 

“We were the first fight and I entered the boxing ring to the song ‘Final Countdown’. I knew there was no backing out. I had lots of people in the audience cheering me on and whilst I was intimidated and very nervous, my heart, soul and body was on the line and I had to go for it. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Luckily and amazingly I knocked my opponent out in round one of three,” says Droga.

NSW Police Legacy is the NSW Police Force’s charity and supports more than 20,000 serving and retired police officers. Initially founded to support bereaved families following the loss of their loved one, their service now extends to include police officers and their families who are experiencing challenging times.

Macquarie Group has supported NSW Police Legacy and the PCYC for many years. Macquarie’s Alex Harvey is the current Chair of the PCYC, succeeding Macquarie’s Managing Director and CEO Nicholas Moore, who previously held the position.

“The police put their lives on the line every day they go to work and the NSW Police Legacy is all about supporting the families of police who have made the ultimate sacrifice with their lives so that we live in a safer society,“ says Droga.

Image caption: Marcus Droga (right) and his boxing opponent at the end of their bout.