Development capital solutions to advance energy infrastructure projects across the Americas
In 2008, Macquarie Capital acquired Fremantle Energy, a greenfield wind and solar development company based in Austin, Texas. Macquarie Capital acquired Fremantle to not only profit from the advancement of its project development pipeline, but also to leverage the development “know-how” of its team in order to more confidently invest in other people’s development-stage projects in the United States, Latin America and Canada.
Since then, the Austin-based development team has helped successfully underwrite, finance and complete the “last mile” of development of over 1,400 megawatts of utility-scale wind power and solar power projects across the Americas. In Latin America, the Infrastructure Development team provides development management services to the Macquarie-managed Macquarie Development Corporation, which actively invests in infrastructure development projects.
Feel free to explore our website to learn more about our team, transactions, projects, and how to contact us to discuss what we might be able to do for you and your development projects.
Macquarie Capital leverages the Austin team's know-how to make and manage investments in late-stage projects, including:
- utility-scale wind power projects
- utility-scale solar power projects
- utility-scale hydroelectric projects
- utility-scale battery energy storage projects
- a range of other energy infrastructure projects including pumped storage hydro, thermal, midstream and water supply.
Representative development-stage energy infrastructure projects that the Austin team has helped close and champion:
- Acquired and are actively developing and financing a contracted 50 MW portfolio of battery-based energy storage systems in southern California alongside Advanced Microgrid Solutions, our joint development partner
- Acquired and are actively advancing the development and financing of a 171 MW portfolio of run-of-river hydroelectric projects in Colombia
- Originated and actively developing a late stage, PTC-qualified 200 MW wind project located in the Texas Panhandle
- Guided the diligence to support Macquarie's investment in the $US525 million TerraForm Private Warehouse, used to finance the acquisition of 521 MW of operating wind farms in Idaho and Oklahoma from Atlantic Power; projects sold to DIF Infrastructure
- Originated and completed the development of a 160 MW solar project portfolio in Pecos County, Texas; projects sold to OCI Solar Power
- Provided $US26.4 million of development capital to 8minutenergy's 90 MW Redwood Solar Projects in Kern County, California; projects sold to sPower
- Provided $US25 million of development capital to Apex Clean Energy's 300 MW Balko Wind Project in Beaver County, Oklahoma; project sold to D.E. Shaw Renewable Investments (DESRI)
- Acquired and completed the development and financing of a 38 MW portfolio of solar projects in Tulare County and King County, California; sold 22 MW of projects to DESRI and 16 MW of projects to Coronal-Panasonic
- Helped further the greenfield development of Petroplex, a crude oil and bulk liquids storage project in Louisiana
- Acquired, funded and managed the remaining development of a 396 MW wind development project in Oaxaca, Mexico
SCE Battery Storage Portfolio
Acquisition of 50 MW portfolio of commercial battery storage projects from AMSRead more
Redwood Solar Projects
$US26.4 million funding commitment to 8minutenergy Renewables, LLCRead more
Balko Wind Farm
$US25 million development capital to Balko Wind, a 300 MW wind farmRead more
OCI Alamo 6
Development and sale of 110 MW solar PV project in West Texas to OCI SolarRead more
Canadian Breaks LLC Wind Farm
Late stage development project initiated by Fremantle EnergyRead more