Important information

Financial assistance


Our approach to financial hardship

Macquarie understands that at times our customers may go through temporary financial hardship.

This may be related to unemployment, unexpected illness, natural disasters or a relationship breakdown.

Where you feel you may not be able to meet your regular repayments or some other financial obligation under your loan, lease, credit card or mortgage contract(s), please contact us to see how we can work together towards a solution for you.

Available options

Our dedicated hardship team will work with you to assess your situation and find a reasonable solution, which may, depending on your circumstances, include:

  1. Extending the period of your contract or reducing the payments due within that period
  2. Postponing the payment(s) due within a specific period
  3. Extending the period of your contract and postponing the payments due within the specific period

How to apply

Please contact one of our dedicated financial hardship specialists on the numbers below. If you would prefer to have a third party or financial counsellor handle this matter for you please let our hardship specialists know:

Mortgages – 1300 363 330
Credit Cards – 1800 674 922
Leasing – 1300 368 908
Business Banking – Please contact your Relationship Manager or 1800 620 673
Equipment Rentals – 02 8232 0130

What happens after you apply?

After we have received your application, along with any other supporting information we need to assess your application, it will be reviewed by one of our specialists.

You will receive a written notice of the outcome of this assessment within 21 days of our receipt of all the relevant documentation.

External organisations


  • Australian Banking Association (ABA) – Policies and guidelines
  • Australian Law Reform Commission (ALRC) – Elder Abuse – A National Legal Response Final Report – May 2017
  • Australian Financial Complaint Authority – Policies and guidelines
  • Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – External, confidential and professional counselling service and is available to all employees of Macquarie and their families. The EAP provides assistance through short-term professional counselling and is available to assist employees overcome personal problems which may affect their work and home life.

External resources for clients

  • Financial Counselling Australia – Helps people who are in financial difficulty. They are available nationally ans provide a free, independent and confidential service. They can consumers remain independent and take full control of their own financial affairs. https.//
  • 1800 RESPECT – Connects people affected by domestic and family abuse with a range of specialist support services in their region including, among other things, services for women, children, migrants and the LGBTI community.
  • Beyond Blue: National mental health support and education provider
  • Black Dog Institute – Dedicated to understanding, preventing and treating mental illness
  • Lifeline – Is a national charity providing all Australians experiencing a personal crisis with access to 24 hour crisis support and suicide prevention services. Phone: 13 11 14
  • Gambling Help – Counselling, information and support. Free, confidential and 24/ 7 online support for anyone affected by gambling. Phone: 1800 858 858
  • Counselling Online – Drug and alcohol support – free support for people affected by alcohol and other drugs. https// 24 hour phone: 1800 888 236 (VIC only) 24 hour online counselling and SMS support
  • Scamnet – Assistance provided for scams, such as how to report a scam, set up alerts and tips on how to secure personal information and access to counselling services Phone: 1300 30 40 54
  • Centrelink – Provides payments, social work counselling and third party referrals and crisis payments.
  • Disaster Assist - Assistance from the Australian Government may be provided to aid the recovery of Australians most affected by an offshore or onshore disaster. In such cases, this website will have up-to-date public information messages, relevant free call numbers, information on Australian Government assistance packages and links to other relevant websites.
  • Family Relationship Advice Line – National telephone service established to assist families affected by relationship or separation issues. Phone: 1800 050 321.
  • Mensline Australia – Is the national telephone and online support, information and referral service for men with family and relationship concerns. The service is available from anywhere in Australia and is staffed by progessional counsellors, experienced in men’s issues. Phone: 1300 78 9978 (24 hours)
  • Mens referral Service – mens counselling and referral service for men impacted by family vioelence. Also a central point of contact fior men who want to talk about their use of violence and 11 gain support to stop it. Counsellors have specialist training in responding to the needs for the LGBTI community. Web: Phone: 1300 766 491 (TAS/ NSW: 24/7) ( All states: 9am – 9pm)
  • Emergency Relief - Emergency relief helps people deal with their immediate financial crisis situation in a way that maintains the dignity of the individual and encouyrages self reliance. https:// Phone: 1300 653 227 (local cost) and ask to be put through to your local state office
  • Legal Aid – Can provide advice on intervention orders, family law and civil / credit and debt matters.
  • MoneySmart – Guidance on general financial matters, protecting money and self from financial abuse.
  • Relationships Australia – Provides counselling, support and courses to increase safety and reduce abuse in families. Services are available to men, women and children who have experienced abuse.
  • Elder Abuse Helpline – Offers a free service that provides information, support and referrals relating to the abuse of older people living in the community across NSW. The service is confidential and callers remain anonymous. Individuals, concerned friends, family members, neighbours and support workers are encouraged to call 1800 628 221 if they suspect elder abuse is occurring. Anyone can make the call.
  • Seniors Rights Service – is a community legal centre that provides advocacy, legal advice and education for older people. Phone: 1800 424 079 Interpreter Service 13 14 50 TTY users 1 36 77 ( then ask for 02 9281 3600)
  • The Australian Guardianship and Administration Council has links to State and Territory agencies with information on power of attorney documents and other guardianship issues  The Australian Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse has links to relevant State and Territory elder abuse services.
  • The Alzheimer’s Australia ‘Is It Dementia’ has general information about dementia and specific information and training support materials for the banking industry.
  • The Seniors Rights Victoria which has information and resources available for older Victorians as well as the broader community. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Will collections and recovery activity continue?

During your hardship application process, collections activity will cease. Where your application is approved, further recovery action will cease for the hardship period provided by Macquarie.

What happens if my application is declined?

We will notify you of the outcome of your application, outlining the reasons for this decision.

What if I am not happy with the outcome of the assessment?

If you are not happy with any part of the hardship process, including the decision, you may contact us and we will refer you to our Client Care team for assistance. If you are still not happy with this outcome, you may lodge a complaint with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority. AFCA is an independent external dispute resolution scheme that is free for you to use.

How long can I be in hardship for?

Each case is different. Depending on your circumstances, financial hardship may apply as a short or medium term solution for you.

What information does Macquarie require from me in order to assess my application?

We may ask you for information including (but not limited to) payslips, medical reports or proof of expenditure to help us make an assessment of your application. It’s a good idea to have these documents at hand when completing your application.

Can someone else request assistance on my behalf?

Yes, we can work with a third party or financial counsellor who you have authorised to act on your behalf.

What if I am the victim of a natural disaster?

If you have been affected by a natural disaster, such as a bushfire or flooding, please call us as soon as possible and advise the hardship specialist of your circumstances. You can reach us on the following numbers:

Mortgages – 1300 363 330
Credit Cards – 1800 674 922
Business Banking – 1800 620 673
Leasing – 1300 368 908
Equipment Rentals – 02 8232 0130

More information

For more information and assistance please visit the following websites: