~$A700 million Avertas Energy project in Western Australia
Australia’s first thermal waste-to-energy facility
As Australia’s population grows, establishing infrastructure that maximises the diversion of waste from landfill is critical, along with the ability to recover products and energy in a sustainable way.
Macquarie is a co-developer, financial adviser and equity investor in the ~$A700 million project. Macquarie is also responsible for delivery of the facility, scheduled to open by the end of 2021.
- Australia’s first thermal waste-to-energy facility
- Long-term waste supply agreements with Rivers Regional Council and City of Kwinana
- Will divert 400,000 tonnes of waste from WA landfill annually, which is 25% of Perth’s post-recycling rubbish
- Will reduce 400,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions annually (equivalent to taking 85,000 cars off the road)
- Expected to export 36MW of reliable baseload energy to the grid (equivalent to the electricity needs of >50,000 households)
- Will create 800+ jobs in WA during construction and 60 full-time positions once operational